INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION DIRECTORATE (INTL COOP DTE)
Being a global issue, there are numerous international, multilateral and bilateral organizations / coordinating bodies which are dealing with the counter drugs issues and related aspects. Pakistan is an established and well respected partner in a number of such bodies. Pakistan’s views, opinions, analysis and inputs on counter drugs issues are considered credible and are widely respected. Representations in, and interaction with such fora not only projects the strong resolve of Government of Pakistan against the menace of drugs but also helps in disseminating our efforts and achievements which attract keen interest of the relevant international audience.
Important counter narcotics fora / organizations are as under:-
Cooperation with Foreign Law Enforcement Agencies and Drug Liaison Officers on all Operational Matters.
- Commission on Narcotics Drugs (CND) including its Reconvened Sessions – 53 x member states.
- Sub-Commission on Illicit Drug Trafficking and Related Matters in the Near and Middle East – 23 x member states.
- Head of National Drug Law Enforcement Agencies, Asia & Pacific (HONLEA) – 53 x member states.
- SAARC Committee on Drug Trafficking / Drug Abuse – 8 x member states.
- Paris Pact Initiative – 63 x member states.
- Quintet Forum (Afghanistan, Pakistan, Russian Federation, Tajikistan, & Iran).
- Triangular Initiative (Afghanistan, Iran and Pakistan)
- International Drug Enforcement Conference (IDEC) – 84 x member states
- Economic Cooperation Organization (ECO) – 10 x member states:-
- Senior Officials Meeting on Drug Control
- Meetings of the Chiefs of Police of Anti Narcotics Force
- Conference of Interaction and Confidence Building Measures in Asia (CICA) in the area of Drug Control – 20 x member states.
- Colombo Plan – 25 x member states.
- Bilateral engagements with important countries like USA, China, Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Kuwait and UK.
- Interaction with following important international organizations:-
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)
- International Narcotics Control Board (INCB)
- Drug Enforcement Administration, USA
- International Narcotics Law Enforcement (INL), USA
- Office of Defence Representative, Pakistan (ODRP), USA
- SAARC Drug Offences Monitoring Desk (SDOMD)
Pakistan has always cooperated with international counterparts by remaining within the legal purviews. For that purpose, ANF has been assigned to act as a point of contact to interact with Drug Liaison Officers of respective countries / embassies, to share operational information, to coordinate Controlled Delivery Operations and to respond to the inquiries on drug related matters. Currently, 40 x Drug Liaison Officers of 35 x countries are posted in Pakistan. In addition to frequent bilateral interactions, regular DLOs conferences are also held at ANF Academy, Islamabad to apprise them about ANF’s counter narcotics achievements.